The N word

I have sat on this for a while, as it really disturbed me that I experienced this in the town I live, but in light of what is happening in Charlottesville, I feel compelled. I was in a local business this summer - and as I was in the store, I heard an employee talking to a customer and used the "n" word. I asked another person that was with me - did I hear what I think I just heard? That person confirmed that what I thought I heard was correct. So..... racism is not just someplace else. It continues right here at our back door. I was appalled that I heard the word roll off the tongue as if it was part of their daily language. She used a word that is a slur and is insulting and provoking.. and racist. Today we saw where racism has manifested itself into terroristic acts.

We worry about terrorism coming into America - we better look at the terrorism home grown in our country - we need to look long and hard at ourselves before we start pointing fingers at our brothers and sisters who exist in this world with us.

I'm 61 - I want to live long enough to see where we recognize our differences and embrace and honor each other no matter the color of their skin, the language they speak, or the religion they practice. Unfortunately, today, we saw a part of America I am not proud of and I don't see it "making our country great", I see an America that is breeding hate.

When that person used the "n" word, I didn't say anything that day. That makes me part of the problem. I won't stand silent next time.

A prayer from the Book of Common Prayer
Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so move every human heart [and especially the hearts of the people of this land], that barriers which divide us may crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our divisions being healed, we may live in justice and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stranger angels